My son is not normally a picky eater, but every now and then he does hesitate to try new foods. I encourage him to try new foods by singing a Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood tune that goes like this, “You gotta try new food, cause it might taste good!” Luckily it works, but it goes beyond just a cartoon song. I also let the little one help in the kitchen, to make him feel special and important. Kids tend to make the best sue chefs! This recipe is the perfect one to do with your children.
You’ll need the following:
1-cup of non-fat greek yogurt
1-tbl spoon of lemon juice
1/4-tbl spoon of kosher salt
1/8-tble spoon of pepper
1-cup of walnuts
1-cup of Quinoa
1-chicken bouillon cube
1-tbl spoon of grapeseed oil
2-lbs of Chicken Breast
1-bag of arugula and spinach mix
1. Mix the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper (I added the salt and pepper). Let your little one help you mix these ingredients in a medium bowl while you cut up 4-6 strips of chicken.
2. Add the chicken in the marinade and turn to coat. Refrigerate immediately for about 30 minutes.
3. Preheat your oven to 450º.
4. Have your little one place the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and then set them in the oven to toast; this takes about 4-5 minutes. We left them in a little bit longer (They tasted like burned popcorn!).
5. Meanwhile, cook the quinoa in a small pot adding two cups of water and the bouillon cube. Or you can simply follow the Quinoa package directions. When the water reaches a boil, lower the flame and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
6. Heat the grapeseed oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken 5 minutes per side.
7. Serve the quinoa chicken with the arugula and spinach mix and let your little one garnish it with the roasted walnuts.
Having my son cook with me has given us great bonding experiences and delicious dinners! I’ve also taken the initiative to teach him a little about measurements. Whether you have a picky eater or not, cooking together works. Try this recipe with your child today and let us know about your experience in the comments section below!